A mill was present in Buxton at the time of the
in 1085. It was rebuilt by Mr Wm Pepper a merchant of Buxton in 1772. It was a clever design as it was worked partly by the river Bure passing under its wheels and partly by a canal brought from Oxnead which turned an overshot wheel. In 1836 a man named Andrews came from Cutfield and worked the mill. The present family of Rust are related to him. In 1845 Mr Cooke was the miller. In 1871 John Cambling was a corn merchant and his brother Horace Gambling the miller of Buxton. Shreeve was miller in 1890 and Benjamin Ling followed him. Joseph Parker was there from 1916-1921 when WmC.Duffield took over.
It continued to work as a water mill until 1953. After this it continued trading as a mill until 1970 when it was sold by
the Duffields. Roger Ferris turned into a craft centre and picture gallery.
It was converted to a restaurant in 1988 and called Boleyns restaurant.
It was destroyed by fire in 1991 but was restored to its original 18th century design and reopened within 2 years.
It was converted to a hotel in 1998. Since then it has been developed into flats which are currently for sale.