This corner house was originally a cottage. It was built by Mrs Susan Watts who made it into a public
house which she kept and bequeathed to Thomas Watts in 1845.
There was at one time stabling for horses. Until recently there were flints with holes in them in the road
opposite the pub in Lion Rd to tie the horses to.(see picture)
On Jan 2nd 1976 between 9PM and midnight there was a famous gale during which the wind reached 105mph at Cromer.
Many trees fell down and one removed part of the Black Lion roof and several others fell across the car park
trapping the cars. About a dozen customers had to spend the night in the pub as they couldn't get home - shame!
View photo on Weather Photo Page.
This is an old house which used to be a farm with a dairy attached.
There is a tradition that it was originally the dwelling of Sir John Picto.
During the war many Coltishall pilots signed their names on the ceiling including
Douglas Bader but unfortunately they were painted over during renovations of the pub.
Described in 1796 auction "With a room let off as a shop and a yard and stable to the same belonging
Copyhold to the Manor of Buxton with the Members."
It was largely rebuilt in the mid 1800's.
|External Links on the history of local pubs|
|Anchor Of Hope (Closed Oct '69)|
|LOST PUB! The Moon? (1836-1854)|
|Norfolk Pub Directory|